Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day at nearby Kelly Lake

Brought to you by Bob Laval.

Weston Pike, Bernard Laval and Alex Forrester launching Gavia into Kelly Lake.

After developing the initial Pavilion Lake Research Project web site near the offset of the project, I have finally been able step out of virtual reality and come on site to meet the team and get a feel for the reality of the project.

I was struck by the warmth of the welcome and the immediate inclusion into project activities. It is inspiring to rub elbows and share food with visionaries, committed scientists, top experts in the field of diving, amazing and gifted support staff with the common denominator of being people who care for people. I have met people who not only love what they do but are a testimony to how education and thorough training can position a person in life to explore possibilities of why things are as they are and how it can prepare us for such things as a flight to the moon or mars.

I spent my first day here mainly plying my trade updating the existing site and exploring possibilities to meet the needs of this evolving and expanding project and best serve its web audience.

Today I was an assistant to a team that went to explore Kelly Lake with the autonomous underwater vehicle, or submarine, used to map and perform a series of tests and scans of the underwater environment. I also travelled the short distance to Pear Lake to assist in the water tests. The team was made up of Dr. Bernard Laval, Alex Forrester, and Weston Pike. I was impressed by the thoroughness of the preparation, the meticulous approach to all operations, the concern for safety and of the ever present sense of stewardship of the environment. It was fun and most definitely expanded my horizons.

I am grateful for the opportunity to contribute my little bit to this amazing project.

No comments: